Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Autumn Chowder

This is the recipe I pull out every time the weather turns to signal the start of fall, my favorite season. It comes from a church cookbook which was given to me when my husband and I were missionaries. I keep the whole book for this one recipe.


Here's it is:

1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 C. water
2 t. chicken bullion
2 1/2 C. potatoes, diced
1 C. carrots, sliced (or not - see below)
4 C. milk
16 oz. frozen corn kernels (or canned corn, drained)
1/2 t. pepper (to taste)
16 oz. Velveeta cheese (which I found by the chips and salsa, not in the refrigerated section. Hmmm.)
3 T. flour

Fry bacon until crisp in a large soup kettle. Add onions and brown until onions are almost clear. Add water, bullion, potatoes, and carrots. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes and carrots are cooked. (I use the baby carrots and don't slice them. I think the chowder looks better with large chunks of color. It has nothing to do with being too lazy to slice them. Really!) While the soup is simmering, prepare the Velveeta by cutting it into 1/2 inch cubes and coating them with the flour. (I put the flour in the bottom of a med. size bowl and, as I cube the cheese, I drop them into the flour and toss them around until they coat. You want each cube of cheese to be on its own.) When the potatoes and carrots are tender, stir in milk, corn and pepper. Turn the heat back up, and when the soup is hot again, drop cheese cubes one at a time, stirring constantly.

This is delicious as a meal served with a hunk of crusty bread and green salad. It sure ain't diet, but it sure is GOOD!

Until next time,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!