Monday, September 26, 2011

Encouraging Words

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. (John 1)

God gave us words, He wrote stories, and He gives us the creative ability and drive to do the same. I heard a statistic at the ACFW Conference this past week. Eighty percent of our moral values come from stories - either our own or ones we have been told. It is a powerful motivation to write.

Here are few snapshots of the conference:

General Session starts with worship songs

Me, Kellie Coates Gilbert and Patricia Carroll. We all met in Texas last February, and it was great to reconnect. Watch for Kellie's "Mother of Pearl" coming in 2012.

A few more writing friends, notably Lynne Gentry (purple top) who wrote "Reinventing Leona". She and Kellie caught me after a hard moment and were God's words of encouragement to me.

Yep...that's me with the amazing Liz Curtis Higgs who, when I stuck out my hand in the bookstore and said, "I'm such a huge fan," was kind enough not to laugh at me. And then, when I asked if she would be willing to take a proof picture, leaned over and smiled big. What a thrill!

And another proof picture with Tracie Peterson. Her gracious, humble spirit is an inspiration to everyone who is lucky enough to meet her. She won the Lifetime Achievement Award this night. She has published ninety-five novels to the glory of God.

And a last proof picture with the woman who got Christian fiction going, Carol Johnson. The ACFW now gives "Carol Awards" in her honor. It was a true honor to be able to thank her for getting Christian fiction into the publishing mainstream.

A couple of Romantic Suspense writers who can kill you six different ways from Sunday and get away with it. Ronie Kendig (L) writes military thrillers that deal with PTSD, and Kimberley Woodhouse who sets her stories in Alaska and still makes you sweat.


I did not get the "Rich and Famous" contract offered to me, but I did learn a great deal, made some wonderful new friends, and am ready to get down into the nitty-gritty of learning this craft.

Until next time,
Becca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!