Friday, November 7, 2014

Merry (Color My Heart) Christmas

This week at Color My Heart, we are working with Honey, Smoothie, and Olive.  I'm still on my Christmas card kick, so I came up with this:


Lately, the blogs I visit have had a number of cards with what I call "peek-a-boo" features.  I decided to do an easy one.  The stripes of colored paper are .25" wide and of various lengths because I used up scraps. I glued them to another scrap piece of paper until I had a length of 5.5".  I did make sure they were all at least 1.5 inches tall, though, because that helped when it came time to assemble the top panels over the stripes.

My top, white panel was originally cut at 5.25 x 3.75".  I then cut it into two pieces at the .75" mark so I had two strips measuring 5.25 x 3" and 5.25 x .75".  Using one of my top panel pieces as a guide, I trimmed the edges of my colored paper strip until I had an even fit.  I really wanted my two end pieces of Smoothie cardstock to be the same size, so it required some centering and eyeballing before cutting. 

When I had the striped panel and the two white panels of the same length, I glued the stripes to my card base so it was centered at about 1" from the bottom of the card base.  I then foam mounted my two white panels so they lined up with the stripes and were evenly bordered by the card base.

To add a little extra flourish to my sentiment, I used some Liquid Glass on the inside and outer ring.  I like the way the shine and dimension makes this look more like a puffy sticker.  I'm still debating over whether or not I should have added glitter to the outer ring. Or maybe, now that the inside and outer ring have dried, I could add glitter to the crisscross part of the frame.

Too much?

Good idea?

What do you think?

Anyway...I was looking at the finished card and thought, "Hmmm, it could use a little something more, but not too much." So I grabbed some ribbon, tied it in a knot, and secured it with another dot of Liquid Glass.

You will likely see more "peek-a-boo" types of cards in the future because I love how they add dimension without adding lots of bulk.

Now I just need to figure out how to take better pictures with my fancy-schmancy new light box the hubs got me.

Until next time,
Becca

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I wouldn't have tried this color combination but I LOVE it! Smoothie, huh.
    Your card is perfect the way it is. I wouldn't add glitter - the liquid glass is a delightful touch!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should enter the challenge, Sharli!! It's good to shake up our old stand-by colors once in a while. :)

      Delete
  2. Very striking, Becca! It's harder than it looks, isn't it? I think it would look great with or without the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really hard, Sarah. A little time consuming, but not hard.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful card! Love how you made the striped border and the liquid glass is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card! I love your peek-a-boo stripes in the Color DAre colors. The textures on the sentiment are perfect just the way they are. I'll be making one of these soon. Thanks for the inspiration.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card! What a great card design to use the strips of different colored cardstock. It looks great as is, or adding some glitter to the lined portion of the frame would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, Becca. So simple, but it fits in a lot of color!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!