Thursday, November 13, 2014

Yuletide Scrapbook Page

Over the past several years, I have gravitated to cards as opposed to scrapbooking, but I still love to put a layout together once in a while.  For my design team duties at Stampin' Buds, I put this Yuletide Workshop of the Go layout together in no time flat using the coordinating Cricut Artbooking cartridge.  And since it uses nothing but paper and ink, I'm linking it up to the Heart2Heart "No Embellishments" challenge.


I love how this turned out.  I have very few pictures from this particular Christmas.  (BTW, the baby my son is holding is a college freshman, and my son is 28 so...yeah...I'm a little behind.)  Having paper that is busy enough to be interesting without stealing the show from my photo is something of a Christmas miracle.

Here's what this looked like as I planned it out in Design Space (or Cricut Craft Room).  I used the mini album on page 57 of Artbooking.  Design Space doesn't let you choose each item individually.  You grab the whole kit and kaboodle and drop it into your work space.  By pressing the eye symbol, I removed any items I didn't want to use.  Next, I highlighted everything left on my work space and right clicked to be able to "ungroup" them all.  That gave me the ability to size things the way I wanted. 

I sized the postage stamp and ticket border as suggested on the carrier sheet of the WOTG stamps.  Then I started fussing.  In the end, the rest of the items ended up as follows:
  • red"december": H=5.7, W=5.28 (I turned it sideways)
  • tree: H=5.73, W=5.57
  • deer: H=3.89, W=2.47
  • black "christmas": H=5.98, W=8.09
The reason for the wonky measurements is because I used the diagonal stretch feature in Design Space until things looked right on my screen.  You can use the "edit" button in Design Space or the height/width boxes in CCR to put these exact measurements in, or you can just put one measurement in and let the software do the rest.  The only one you'll need to play with is the black "christmas" one because I stretched horizontally it to make it fit what I wanted to do with it.  (If you want to put the measurements in by hand, you'll have to use the "unlock" feature.)

You'll notice that the idea I had on my screen called for the postage symbol to be down by the deer.  Once I got everything cut and stamped with Black ink, it didn't look right so I moved it to the top left.  What did make me happy was how the various elements layered just right so holes on the "december" and "christmas" mats (which are actually the base pages for a mini album) were covered. 

And talk about quick!!  It took me more time to put this post together than the entire page--Design Space fussing included.  You gotta love the coordination between CTMH stamps and Cricut cartidges!!

Until next time,
Becca

7 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the explanation! I must admit I haven't ever tried Studio J. I am inspired by your page, and how easy you make it all sound! I will give it a try!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout, I love your tutorial! Thanks for playing along with H2H challenges!

    Brandi R
    H2H challenges DT member
    crzy4scrapbooking.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this LO! The tickets are so adorable; that may be one of my new favs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With that BEAUTIFUL paper, you don't have to stamp! Thanks for linking up H2H's No Stamping NOvember Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And...by "no stamping" I meant No Embellishments!!!...lol I was so hung up on the paper I didn't realize what I was typing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome layout! mmmm, this gives me an idea for a layout with this paper pack! Thanks for playing along with us in the H2H challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great layout, Becca! I especially like the stamped "tickets"! Glad you played along with us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!