Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pathfinding Christmas

This week for my design team duties over at StampinBuds.com I'm focusing on the Pathfinding paper pack.  Like my post from October 9, I am stretching Fall paper and a coordinating stamp set into Christmas.


Pretty clever, huh?  Yeah, I thought so too, which is why I totally stole the idea from this blog post.  I once heard that the art of creativity was successfully hiding ideas you've pilfered.  I love that!  It validates my CASE (Copy And Steal Everything) philosophy...except I always like to give credit where it's due.

The main sentiment is a Hostess Only set called Be Jolly.  You can't order it directly, which is why there is no corresponding link below.  If you need a reason to host a party, I'd say this card gives you one!!

Notice the design principles I employed.  I stamped the two red hearts to create a triangle with the red "&" in the sentiment.  I stamped the three Glacier flowers in another triangle.  The leaves forming the wreath are a third triangle.  I also created a rounder feel to those leaves by curving the stamp that forms the center stem.  Gotta love the flexibility of acrylic stamps.  As for the leaves next to the Glacier flowers, the actual stamp is only two leaves.  I just stamped them twice and off-set them a skosh.

I added the hand-drawn dots after everything was glued.  The edge on the right side disappeared too much.  I could have solved that problem by foam mounting the image panel, but it's a little tough to make that fix once the everything's already glued down.  The other problem was that there wasn't any Chocolate color in the main image to coordinate with the Chocolate in the patterned paper. Then, when the outline dots were done, I needed to add some more Chocolate to the main image.  I was adding dots on top of my dots, but it pulled everything together.  I also hand-drew some white lines using a gel pen.

This would have been a fun card to sew around.  Which I just now thought of.  Doh!

I grew up in a Swedish Baptist Church.  This card reminds me of the colors and folk art of that heritage. 

Let me know if you have any question by adding a comment, and be sure to come back to see my reply.

Until next time,
Becca


1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!