Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Salsa!

Salsa is a wonderful thing when you want to go low fat as long as you aren't having it with chips.  Here's a recipe I made for company the other night.  It comes from my sister-in-law's mom and is absolutely delicious.

Salsa Chicken

1 T. olive oil
1/4 C. coarsely chopped almonds
2 cloves garlic minced
8 skinless chicken thighs
1 C. mild salsa
2 T. currants
1 T. honey
3/4 t. cumin
1/2 t. cinnamon
3 C. cooked couscous or bulgar

Heat oil over med. high in a large skillet.  Add almonds and fry 1-2 min; remove from skillet with slotted spoon and set aside.  (Almonds which have been toasted will also work.)  Add garlic to oil and cook 30 seconds.  Add chicken, cook 4-5 min until browned then turn over.  Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.  Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 30-40 min. until chicken is tender and juices run clear.  Stir in almonds and serve over couscous or bulgar.

I wish I had a picture to show you, but I didn't think my guests would appreciate me whipping out a camera to take pictures of their food!

Until next time,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!