Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What a Difference

Two weeks ago, I looked forward to "the REAL WRITERS and me" retreat.  A week ago I attended what soon became "the REAL WOMEN who write (most of whom just happen to be published)" retreat.  And do you want to know what made the difference? 

Prayer.

We celebrated, cried, and opened our hearts to each other in one of the most precious prayer times I've ever experienced.  I found kindred spirits in that circle.  I knew those women instantly because they struggle and rejoice over the same things I do.  The same things you do.

Why does that surprise me?  I don't know.  It shouldn't.  Writing touches us because it explores the deep things in our lives.  It moves us because the characters wrestle with authentic situations.  It challenges us to examine our own actions vicariously.  It comes from people who reach into their own lives and experiences to breath life into fictional characters. Real people compelled to write.  Authors.

I am a real person who is compelled to write.  God gives me stories and, until they are written, I am restless.  To not write would, for me, be disobedient.  God never said anything about publication, He just asked me to write.  He also provided me with opportunities to learn the craft of writing from people who know how to do it well.  And so I will study, learn and write to the best of my ability.  I will tell the stories inside my soul.

But most of all, I will pray for the authors whose stories are published and read by thousands.  Because that's what it's all about:  Real people touching the hearts of real people for God.

Until next time,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!