Author Web Page

Visit my author web page at www.beccawhitham.com

Friday, February 28, 2014

Shabby Chic Skylark

This week's challenge over at Color My Heart is to use the colors from the new CTMH paper packet "Skylark".  I put my card together and then saw the Heart2Heart: Shabby Chic challenge.  Love it when one card can do double duty.


Here's the supply list (everything in italics is CTMH):

Stamps: Holiday Tags (sentiment)
Paper: Skylark, Lagoon
Ink: Chocolate, Lagoon, Pear pigment
Accessories: Chocolate Woodgrain Washi, Lagoon Houndstooth Washi, white doily, Liquid Glass

Here's a close of the top right corner.  There was a touch of Pear color on the paper peeking out from under the doily at the bottom left of the card.  I decided it needed some companionship.  Actually, the artistic principle is to have each color represented more than once on your project.  I used a technique I learned from Online Card Classes and created circles using various things located on my desk.  The large, thin circle is the cap from a glue stick, the smaller, double circle is from a LePlume marker, and the tiny dots are from the handle of a thin paintbrush.  If you go back up to the full card picture and squint, you can see that I added a few dots with the paintbrush at the bottom left under the bit of Pear peeking out from under the doily.

I used Pear pigment ink to add the circles because I wanted them to "sit on top" of the paper much the same way a printed pattern does. 

The bird was actually cut from the patterned paper.  I then spruced him up a bit by sponging Chocolate along the edges and lightly over the top.  I then added light touches of Lagoon ink to add interest.  The secondary greenish/yellowish color is from the patterned paper.  Because the paper already had some color and I wanted the ink I added to "soak in" for a more blended look, I used the dye inks for this.

You can't see it in the picture, but I added a dot of Liquid Glass to the bird's eye.  I think I should have used a marker underneath to give the iris some deep color before I did that.  Too late now.  **Sigh**

See, you come here to see a card and get a lesson in the difference between pigment and dye inks.  This card is doing yeoman's duty today!

Until next time,
Becca



2 comments:

  1. Becca, I wondered where the bird came from! I love that you cut it out of the patterned paper! This is a very pretty shabby card. Thanks for the tips and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought I commented! I adore the bird like this! It really does pop with the inking! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!