Saturday, July 20, 2013

If I Know What Love Is...

This is my first week off from DT duties with Color My Heart for a long time, so of course I made a card.  These colors totally had me stumped and then I came across this challenge with instructional video and thought, "Hmmm, I have some stamps I think I could do that with.  Oh...and I might even be able to incorporate Ruby, Twilight, and Olive."

The stamp sets used are retired CTMH:  Sweet Flowers, The Giving Hand, and Unscripted.   I didn't have watercolor paint so I used the squeeze-the-lid-into-the-ink-pad method to create my watercolors.  I wasn't good about letting the image dry before going over it with the detail/outline image, but this is such an abstract kind of thing I decided not to re-stamp everything.  The flicks of color over the entire panel really were intentional...especially after the unintentional ones gave me the idea.  Ha!

I added some Cashmere ink (hey...it's a neutral) into the center of the flower.  I thought a full, Ruby flower would be too overwhelming.

Somewhere in blog land I came across a video where the gal said you should use every color three times.  Looking over my cards, I've realized I don't follow that rule but I do try to have at least each color represented twice, hence the Cashmere center is repeated in the Kraft card base, the Ruby flower is repeated in the heavy Baker's Twine, and the Olive stem/leaf is repeated in the side panel.  The Twilight is repeated three times.  It might not look like it, but the back panel is watercolor stamped in Twilight, so add that to the sentiment and sponged edge and that gets it to three.  I suppose the flicks of ink could be my third for the Ruby and Olive, but that's stretching it.

I really like this technique.  You might just see this again in the future.

Until next time,
Becca

5 comments:

  1. Ok, crazy you, posting on a week where you didn't have to, but thanks SO much for posting this delicious card! And the link to the how-to video. I wouldn't get too caught up with the rule of threes...the eye knows what it likes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, this is SO pretty! I love the colors & the splattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thanks for posting the video link, I am going to check it out. And the "using all colors 3 times" is interesting, I've never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh...I just melted! This is so beautiful! Intentional, unintentional--tomatoe, tomahtoe it alllll works! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GORGEOUS Becca! I am so impressed with you that you could make such a beautiful piece of art (not that I'm surprised though). Thanks for sharing your card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!