Thursday, September 30, 2010

For My Friend

A couple days ago, my best friend when I was a little girl lost her precious mother.  If ever there was a woman who could light up a room just by smiling, it was Nancy.  She turned being a "homemaker" into an art, and we all loved her for it.

In keeping with the challenge over at Operation Write Home which is "For the Girls" and to use any of the other weekly challenges, I decided to use the hand stitching challenge.


I did two different types of hand stitching, both were done by paper piercing first in a straight (well, fairly straight line) free hand.  Since the rose is so pretty, I wanted something a little raw to frame it.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

To create the background, I white embossed the script on watercolor paper.  After spritzing it with water until the entire piece was wet, I dotted CTMH colors Desert Sand, Cherub Pink and Sorbet all around, swirling them together and making sure to edge in the brown.  I also white embossed the rose (also by CTMH but retired long ago), spritzed it, and used the same colors plus Aspen Green on the leaves.  The background paper is CTMH Desert Sand which I sponged with ink of the same color hitting the edges a little harder than the center.

The pin was a gift from my mother.  I simply added some beads I got in a huge pack at Michaels and poked it through the Cocoa ribbon.
I only secured the center of the watercolored background and let the edges curl.  The rose is mounted on foam tape at the leaves only. 

Beautiful women deserve to be remembered in beautiful ways. 

Until next time,
Becca

4 comments:

  1. uhm....WOW!!! IS all I can say.....WOW.....so gorgeous!!! ;) OK....so, I said more....but this is so lovely!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, I know your friend will cherish it. Thanks for joining in our challenge at Operation Write Home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becca,
    I'd like to talk with you about making a sample card for an Operation Write Home challenge in the near future. You can e mail me at gonestampin(at)gmail(dot)com.
    Thanks, Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!