Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Little Altering with White Pines

For my last week using the White Pines Workshop on the Go (CTMH) for design team duties with Mary Brooks, I wanted to go back to the Christmas theme...mostly because I still need cards for mailing to family and friends this year. 

Before we begin, I have to apologize to Mary for mis-labeling her blog address on these pictures.  I tried to go back and fix it, but my photo editor wouldn't let me.  The correct blog address is: mary-rmsbrooks.blogspot.com.

And now for the fun stuff!

I've shown you how to stretch the stamp images to cover more than just Christmas, but today I want to show you how to "stretch" your paper by altering the look of it.


On this card, I painted the background paper with watercolors.  I used actual water color paints, but you could achieve the same effect by squeezing your dye ink lid into the pad. When you open the lid, add a little water to create a water color. (See the third card of this post for an illustration.)

My ink colors here are Fern and Smoothie. The tree was done by inking the solid image in Fern, stamping once on scratch paper, then stamping the "second generation" onto my card base.  The outline was stamped in Fern over top.  I used a sponge dauber to add a little extra Fern on the horizontal strip of paper and then I did something clever. I inked the solid image tree trunk in Smoothie, stamped it off once to fade the color, then used the Fern ink still on my sponge dauber over top of the stamp before pressing onto the paper.  It gave me a nice brown color.

I also added the Chevron Border Punch to my list of supplies this week. I've used it multiple ways, as you'll see coming up.  Above, a small piece of scrap of Cranberry paper gets extra interest.  Below, the punch adds interest without adding any "bulk".



For this card, I added two more ink colors: Black and Glacier. Working from left to right, here's how I altered the paper.  I stamped Fern ink onto Fern cardstock in a random pattern before stamping the tree. The middle tree was stamped on background paper which I altered by stamping with small cluster of dots in Glacier ink. The third tree is plain Cranberry. No altering required. I stamped all three tree trunks in Fern ink, using second generation for the middle tree. I also sponged the edges of each tree in Fern once they were cut out.

Admittedly, stamping a color onto patterned paper doesn't alter it much, but I remember how surprised I was when I first saw it done.  I tend to take things as they come, so the thought of changing up a pre-printed pattern wouldn't occur to me.  I'm also amazed at how tone-on-tone stamping gives interest without being overwhelming.

I think this is my favorite use of the Chevron Border Punch. Plus, I used the leftover cut outs for...



...this card. 

The altering I did here was paper piecing.  The top is more Fern tone-on-tone used on the left tree above.  The center is Cranberry tone-on-tone with the small cluster of dots in Glacier (pigment) added like the center tree above. (Note: you can use dye ink for stamping on the middle tree of the second card, but to get a lighter color to show on a darker cardstock, use pigment ink). The bottom layer of the tree is straight patterned paper. 

The trick to paper piecing is to outline your cut pieces with the same color you stamped your overall image before you adhere them together. Since CTMH  colored cardstock has a white core, outlining gets rid of that peek of white.  Because my outline was stamped in black, I used the wide end a dual-tip black Sharpie.  Once the entire tree was put together, I outlined the entire outside edge. I also used the Sharpie -- fine-tip end --  to hand-draw the black line border around the Cranberry and White Daisy panels.  The Sharpie is my only non-CTMH supply.

Like the trees in the second card, I sponged the whole tree in Fern before gluing it to the white panel.

Here's the supply list (with embedded links for your shopping convenience):
Mary and I decided to post a day early this week so we could enjoy our Thanksgiving.  We wish you and yours a wonderful time with family and friends.

I'll be back next week with a new WOTG.  Since most of you will be moving on from Christmas cards soon, the focus will shift. I have to tell you, I'm more excited about what's coming up than the previous two months.  I'm having a blast!!

Until next time,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!