Friday, September 6, 2013

A little "wine" with your Slate and Whisper

This week's Color My Heart challenge is to use Slate and Whisper plus any other color of your choice.  I pulled out Ruby and, after seeing this tutorial during Stamp-A-Faire, came up with this wine bottle tag:


And here's a close up of my salted flower:



I didn't have any Elmer's Glue sitting on my desk, so I used Liquid Glass (aka, Glossy Accents or Crystal Effects).  I also didn't have regular salt, so I used the Kosher kind.  I varied how much I watered down my Ruby re-inker as I dotted it onto the salt, and it really came out great.

The stamps are CTMH Unscripted (retired, flower), Art Philosophy Coordinating Stamps (current, sentiment) and Geometric Backgrounds (current, border).  I stamped the geometric border in second generation Whisper.  Even though it's the lighter of the two grays, it was still too strong for what I wanted.  The stem and leaf are in Slate, and the flower is in third generation Ruby.  As the tutorial mentions, this technique could be done without an actual image, but I wasn't that brave.  At least not the first time trying it.  I'd do it now.

The sentiment is in first, second, and third generation stamping.  I inked it up, stamped it off, inked it again two-thirds to half way up, stamped it off again, and then a third inking just along the bottom.  It's a quick way to get an ombre effect.

Although this is a really clever technique, I don't think it would mail very well.  Thus the tag (cut using Art Philosophy and mounted to a coordinating Dimensional Element).  Now I'm just waiting for an occasion to give it away.

Until next time,
Becca

4 comments:

  1. How pretty Becca! I love the look of the flower - it's sparkly! This makes a lovely tag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE to try this technique. You're flower looks amazing. I also love the way you use the background stamp. You proved you don't have to use the entire stamp or cover the entire background to add texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGSH, I just FOUND you and I will definitely be back! You have a wonderful style! I am smitten by this salted flower project! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!