Monday, October 28, 2013

Five-layer Fly Away

I can't believe this is my last post as the October guest designer over at Heart2Heart.  I've had a wonderful time and appreciate the H2H ladies allowing me to crash their party.  This week's challenge is Lots of Layers--at least five. 

I wanted to see if I could stick to what has started to emerge as "my style" and keep the card feeling clean and simple.  I also wanted to highlight a trend I've noticed over the past few months to use off-centered panels.  Using the last card shown on this post as my inspiration, I combined two stamp sets from the new "Holiday From the Heart Gift Guide" to bring you this:



All supplies in italics are CTMH:
  • Paper: Sarita (diamond pattern) and Laughing Lola
  • Stamps: Lifting Spirits and Lots of Love
  • Ink: Slate and Momento Tuxedo Black
  • Copic Markers: RV69, V15, V12, RV93, V0000 (airplane); R05, R20, R22 (hearts); BG72, BG10, BG0000 (sky + star and wheel of airplane); W00, W3 (clouds); and 0-Colorless
  • Accessories: Studio G Glitter Gel and Liquid Glass
I needed to use Copic markers on the airplane because the purple in Laughing Lola is not in the regular CTMH line...and because I needed to use Copic markers, I needed to use Momento Tuxedo Black ink for the plane so the image didn't blur while coloring.  If you look closely, you will see where the lines of the clouds began to blur when I got too close to them with the Colorless Copic.  I'm not sure why the colored Copic markers didn't bleed the Slate ink but the Colorless one did.  Whatever.  The Momento ink pads have something in them that makes the Copics not bleed them out when coloring (even with the Colorless Copic).  Plus, the black outline of the plane helps it to stand out.

The plane, small cloud,  and one of the larger hearts are all mounted on foam tape, thus creating my fifth layer.  The last three hearts in the trail behind the plane were also stamped a second time, cut out, and glued down.  I painted a little glitter gel over all the hearts, waited for them to dry, then topped them off with a little Liquid Glass to give them more shine an dimension.

What a fun month this has been.  Thanks again, H2H, for this wonderful opportunity. 

Until next time,
Becca

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Now I MUST order that stamp set, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this and really appreciate the details about how you did it! Excellent work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH...MY...GOODNESS!!!! I would name all the things I {{{LOVE}}} about this card....like the coloring...the "cadiwhompas" B&T...the cute little airplane...the heart banner...but I would be naming EVERYTHING!!!

    TOTALLY on my "case" list and DEFINITELY pinned!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing what can actually WORK?! This is crazy amazing! Awesomely unexpected peeks of patterns that somehow just mesh with the plane and clouds! Thanks so much for joining...I mean DESIGNING with us over at H2H this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!