Monday, October 14, 2013

Warm Woolen Mittens

This week, the challenge over at Heart2Heart is to make a shaped card.  I'm not sure when I learned this trick, but did you know you can make a card out of almost any shape if you cut two shapes, score the top of one, and glue the scored end to the second shape?  It works!



Here's a side view so you can see what I'm talking about.

All shapes were cut using Artiste, p. 79 at 5 3/8".  To make sure the card would stand straight, I laid the bottom mitten shape on my score board with the mitten edge lined up against the board's ridge.  My score line was at the one inch line or so.  Easy-peasy!

This side view also gives you a pretty good shot of the bow I created with black shimmer tape.  Even though the tape is fairly thin, it was going to be too thick for this card.  I cut it in half lengthwise, put one half on the card front and made the bow with the other half.  Now you have to be a little finicky with this.  Because the shimmer trim has adhesive backing on it, only peel back and trim off a 1/4-1/8" piece to make a circle that overlaps at one, small point.  You will not use the full length of the leftover piece.  Peel off all the backing of what's left and wrap a band around the midpoint of your circle.  You will need to use Liquid Glass to keep the middle band from unsticking, and use it to adhere the whole bow to the top strip.

I decided to add stitching to make the mitten look like one of those felt ornaments.  I think the stitch is called a blanket stitch, but it's a pretty easy one to do.  Come up from the bottom, keep your thread in front, and pull through.  Here's a photo to help you visualize.  Yes...the stitching shows through on the bottom side of the card, but if anyone dares to complain, I have two words for them.

STORE
BOUGHT

'Cause that's what they are getting next Christmas!!

In order to keep the two mitten pieces together, I needed to stitch the top together while only stitching the top piece along the sides.  I began by poking my holes in the top piece using my paper piercing tool.  I then glued the two pieces together, re-poked holes just where the two came together, then stitched.

With all this stitching, I am linking up to CAS-ual Fridays for their challenge this week which is...wait for it..."In Stitches"!

All supplies (except the white lace) are CTMH.  The paper is from an older, retired pack called Florentine, but the current Pro Player pack has something very similar.  The sentiment is from Perfect Fit Frames-Holiday.  The white lace is from Hobby Lobby and I need to go get  more.  At least two rolls!

If you have any questions, please leave a comment.  Otherwise, I'm anxious to see what shaped cards you link up at Heart2Heart this week.

Until next time,
Becca

5 comments:

  1. OMGSH, this is fabulous! I love the effect of the blanket stitching - wow! Thanks for the neat tip about making the faux bow with the shimmer tape! Very smart! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blanket stitching! I never thought of doing it on a card, but it does make me thing of felt ornaments. Thank you for the tip on how to make a bow and how to score a shape to make a card. I am working on a pumpkin card, and I was going to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I learn so much from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is where I have seen that stitch--my comfy blanket! LOVE that shimmer trim bow, you crafty girl! The scoring is pure genius...beats CCR any day, lol. SO glad to have you on for the month over at H2H! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you did a blanket stitch around your mitten card, what a great look! Someone special will have to get this one : ) Thanks so much for joining the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO adorable! I love the stitch around the outside! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!