Monday, July 4, 2011

Sacrifice

Sacrifice measures depth of love.

Want to know if someone loves you? Easy. What are they willing to give up for you?

A couple days ago, I had a conversation with the mother of a special needs child. The whole family has given up many things in order to accommodate one member. Being a modern mom, she is networked with other families with children sharing her daughter's condition. She was pretty fed up with the string of e-mails from parents unwilling to make their own sacrifices. Why would a parent risk a kid's health because it would cost an extra $100 a month to make a change? Especially since both parents work full time.

On this 4th of July holiday, and with the subject matter of my novel, I am reminded of the things given up in order to secure our independence. As I wait for my husband to return from his year in Afghanistan, I have a glimpse of what it must have been like for colonial women to kiss their husbands goodbye. But only a glimpse. They had no Skype, reliable mail service, or even an eventual return date. Add to that the amount of work which fell on their shoulders to keep up the home farm and animals. And what of the men? The left their families at a time when too many soldiers (on both sides of the fight) thought unattended women were...shall we say "fair game" to keep the PG rating on this blog. Overwhelming! All because they loved a dream which had about as much chance of becoming reality as I do of becoming an Olympic gymnast.

Closer to home, how do I know my husband loves me? Because, for 25 years, he went to work every day at jobs which were less than his ideal in order to provide a roof over my head and food on our table. He gives up his time and energy to do things with me which are NOT on his list of fun things to do (think ballet and opera) because I want to do them. He knows I love him by the sacrifices I make to either do things he wants or give him time with his own friends.

Why do I create hand-made cards? Because the sacrifice of time speaks more to communicate my love for the recipient than the actual pieces of paper or sentiment.

John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

There are many ways of laying down your life. Very few involve physical death. Most are putting to death your own plans, dreams, hopes or desires in order to accommodate those you love.

Sacrifice measures depth of love.

Until next time,
Becca


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!