Monday, January 16, 2012

More Sympathy

Using the Mojo Monday Sketch #224 and the H2H Color Challenge, I made my second sympathy card for the week.  This was is for my mother's maid of honor (nearly 54 years ago) whose husband passed away earlier this month.


I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could do this sketch without using any ribbon.  Not sure why that was important to me, but it sounded good at the time.  I actually like how it turned out, so all is well.

Everything on this card is CTMH.  Paper is Wonderland, stamps are from Rock the Block, the flowers and circles were cut out using the Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge, and even the flower center was made using CTMH supplies.  Well, except for the Copic marker used to color the circle charm.

Here's what happened.  I punched out a bit of the Wonderland paper.  It wasn't quite dark enough so I smeared a little Twilight ink on it.  That made it too dark, so I watered it down to get a softer effect.  Then I put the circle charm over wet paper.  It didn't stick (hmmm...imagine that).  So I peeled it off and had sticky residue.  Using my sander, I got the rest of the wet paper off, but that made my circle charm too cloudy to effectively mount another piece of paper under it.  What to do, what to do?  I know...pull out a Copic (BG72), color the cloudy circle charm, dab it with Liquid Glass, and cover it all with glitter.  Voila!

I now vote for no more sympathy cards.

Until next time,
Becca

14 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful! I'm sorry for your family's/friend's loss. Thanks for joining the H2H color challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is so beautiful. I agree no more sympathy cards. Thank you so much for joining us at H2H this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty card - I'm sure it will bring comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your mother's friend...your card is lovely and will be treasured, for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca -

    Simply lovely even if the occasion is sad.

    Great job rescuing that window charm and making it into the perfect accent. Thanks for sharing your art and joining us at Heart2Heart Challenges this week.

    Paige - DT
    www.PaigesPaperParadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is very pretty and I'm sure it will bring comfort. Thanks for playing along at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice card. I like how the flower turned out and that you created a wave in the pennant shaped piece. Thank for joining us at Heart 2 Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is VERY well done. I'm inspired! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely card. Love all of the details. Sorry that it had to be a sympathy card! Thanks for joining us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - what a story! Way to stick with it and make something so pretty. Nice touch to add dimension to the Wonderland paper. Thanks for playing H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Becca,

    What a clever way to finish your pretty card off - the glitter works perfectly. I like how you "bubbled" or "warped" the ribbon, inspiring.

    Thanks for sharing and I look forward to visiting in the future.

    Happy Crafting,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card! Love to see this paper used for something non-wintery... it seems everything i make with it ends up wintery... maybe my next challenge for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your card Becca - great use of paper to look like ribbon! I'm going to have to "scraplift" your idea. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    Lucy
    http://love2createitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!