Sunday, January 1, 2012

My "Word" for the Year

Have Faith. 

This year I am doing something I have heard others do in the past.  I am choosing a word to be my theme for 2012.  I realize "Have Faith" is two words, but it's what fell into place in my heart as I was praying.  I even have plans to make myself something to decorate my writing office to remind me of it throughout the year.

Last week, when our kids were here, we watched a video series called "Laugh You Way to a Better Marriage."  If you have not seen this, you are missing profound truth coated in comedy.  It also has a personality test you can take.  We did this as a family and found out some interesting things about ourselves and each other.

My number one motivation is COMPETENCE. I like to already be good at things before I show them to the rest of the world.  It's the main reason I never want to go to a gym.  Who wants all those people seeing what a complete dork I am?  Really!  It's what scares me the most about writing.  What if I manage to get something published only to read it later and realize it's one of those books other people read and think, "How did something this bad get published?"

So why does "Have Faith" resonate with me so much right now?  Because faith is more than a nice motivational thought, it is the essence of life.  Without faith it is impossible to please God.  Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.  Having faith means persevering through the awkward I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing phase until I reach a level of competence.  It means pursuing the goal with the kind of passion I would if I knew beyond doubting success was within reach with one more push, one more step, one more...just one more.

As I am writing this, some of the most interesting and beautiful birds I have ever seen are flying around outside my window.  When I get up to capture them on my camera, they fly away.  When I sit back down and start typing again, they come back.  So far, I've seen four different varieties which I don't recall ever seeing before. It's as though God is telling me that, although I cannot capture concrete evidence of these beautiful birds, they are real and must be enjoyed in the moment. 

To be honest, I'm not sure how that ties into having faith, but God has something for me there.  I know it with the same assurance I know my Redeemer lives.  As I struggle to find God's meaning, it will be a special message straight from Him to me when it is revealed.


May your 2012 be full of similar messages which come straight from God's heart to yours.



Until next time,
Becca

3 comments:

  1. Becca, I really like this idea of having a word for the year. Your word is perfect. May your Faith keep you strong as you keep your eyes on Him each day. I've been thinking about this idea over the holidays and I want to try to do one word a week. Sometimes I just need that weekly inspiration from the Lord. I haven't started yet, but hope to start soon. Thank you so much for all your kind words on my blog. Your encouraging comments are really appreciated. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the inspiring, hope-filled post to start the new year. I pray your 2012 is filled with blessings and peace, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Becca! What a wonderful word. I think mine is "redemption." The past couple of years have been the most challenging but boy, did they ever bring me closer to God. I feel like 2012 will be a year of redemption not only for me but for many others who have had a difficult 2011 or 2010. May God bless you richly this year!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!