Sunday, July 27, 2014

Online Card Class - Playing Catch Up

Online Card Classes is having a sale this weekend so I bought myself two back-dated classes and the upcoming Stretch Your Stamps 2.  Today was spent watching the Inspirations Showcase.  Oh. My. WORD!  I can't believe the number of techniques she takes you through.  It inspired me to create this:


I am adding this to the Simon Says Stamps: Emboss It challenge.

The roses are by PSX with a date of 1997 on the side.  The sentiment is from CTMH.  I white embossed the roses onto watercolor paper and went to town with Tim Holtz Distress Stains in Broken China, Peeled Paint and Spun Sugar.  I got these three colors in the clearance bin at my Hobby Lobby a while back because much of the Tim Holtz stuff, while fabulous in it's own way, is not my normal style so I didn't want to spend a fortune on it.  I supplemented with CTMH inks in Smokey Plum and Tulip to create the deeper shading to the roses and add some purple to the background.

I used Create a Shade Pearl Paint and water in a spritzer to create a glimmer mist.  I sprayed that over the top of my embossed roses and then started painting with the distress inks.  The secret to this one was to layer more and more color after allowing each layer to dry.  As you can see from the close up, I wasn't terribly fussy about keeping my color within the lines.  With this technique, the sloppy look totally works.

Between this card and the multiple techniques used in the Inspirations Showcase, I might need to invest in some more of the Distress Stains and inks.  Love, love, love how this turned out.

Until next time,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Becca.
    I once traveled with a group that visited a museum that housed a few Monet's. One rather uninformed person commented that a two year old could paint that. I was so annoyed by his ignorance I told him to mentally isolate two square inches of the painting and count the number of colors used.

    I tell that story because your beautiful watercolor reminds me of that painting. You may not have used a huge palette of colors, but the blending has created the same feel. Anyone receiving this fabulous card should frame it.

    Thanks for sharing.
    ~carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this rose stamp from PSX!!! :) so so so pretty :) i love how you watercolored the roses and the background differently- beautiful! thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!