Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Writer's World Wednesday-Surreal Moments

This week was packed with "somebody pinch me" moments.

It started last Wednesday.  My first check from a publisher arrived in the mail.  When I showed it to my husband, he said, "I guess that makes you a professional writer."  Something about the words professional and writer used together to describe me made my heart flip.

On Friday night, one of the authors for our collection posted the links to Amazon and goodreads.

There's my name.
Spelled correctly.
With "(author)" behind it.
For everyone who clicks the "more" button to see. 

I was so excited, I woke up my poor husband to listen to me squeal.  He graciously listened and even got out of bed to go see.  True love!  I graciously got out of bed an hour later to keep from waking him again because I was still tossing and turning.

The final moment came when I pushed the send button on Monday afternoon.  Writing a book is like condensing birth, the terrible two's, teenage angst, and high school graduation all into six months.  There were moments I wanted to drop-kick this story and other moments of great joy and pride.  Sending it to the publisher was like leaving a child at college.  I've done my best, now I pray for it to be polished under the tutelage of professionals so, when it graduates, it can stand up to the criticism of the world.

And, after I pushed the send button, I looked around my house and decided it was time to push a few other buttons...like the ones on the vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, washer, and dryer.

Until next time,
Becca

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!