Thursday, July 18, 2013

Christmas Butterfly

This week's color combination over at Summer Card Camp 2 is not my favorite, and I have not been inspired to do much with it.  However, today's assignment was to take a holiday stamp set and use it for some other occasion.  As suggested, I pulled out all my Christmas stamps (though we could have used other holiday sets, too) and just looked at them.  And looked at them.  And turned them around to look at them upside down.  Inspiration struck when I saw butterfly wings.


Pretty darn pleased with myself to see butterfly wings in Christmas bulbs!   After looking at the descriptions on the photo above, I should clarify.  The top/all blue butterfly wings were done with the outline bulb and the bottom/blue and green wings were done with the bulb inside the dark-edge circle.  Oh...and the marker is Marvy LePlume not Tombow.  Hope that's clear now.

The stamp set is retired CTMH called O Christmas Tree.  The sentiment was done by a small stamp store in Port Orchard, WA which made custom stamps.  They have been out of business for a long time, unfortunately. 

The butterfly and sentiment were stamped in Momento Rich Cocoa.  The others were CTMH pigment inks in Pear, Topiary, and Crystal Blue.  The paper is also Crystal Blue.

I popped the punched circles and butterfly up on foam tape to give the card a bit of dimension.  I'm still debating adding some glitter on the wings but I don't want to obscure the watercoloring (done with Derwent watercolor pencils May Green #48, Sap Green #49, and Turquoise Blue #39).

If I had more time today, I think I'd do another card simply because this one is making me smile so much!!

Until next time,
Becca

13 comments:

  1. I love this card. You can't tell it was from a Christmas set at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative! Love the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super creative, lady! Wow--how in the world did you see all that in the stamp set? I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed by your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever use of the stamp set, love your card! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is fabulous - so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love butterflies! It's great that you saw the wings in the light bulbs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUPER JOB!!!!!!!!!! LOL I can see them!!!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, my friend! I really like that color combo, very fresh. And your Frankenstein (only in that you "stitched" it together!) butterfly is so funky! The whole card design has me smiling, too. You get A+ for your homework...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah, I stared at that set and still didn't see it until you told me! Impressed for sure! :) love the random circles too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...how did you ever see that butterfly?!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!